My friend Susan Daffron of Logical Expressions sent me an email telling me that today is “Make Your Dreams Come True” day. It was a marketing email in which Susan wrote about the dream of writing a book and how one might use her services to make it come true.
Finishing a book about business writing is my dream, and I am more than halfway there. When I was making very slow progress, Susan helped me with one small but powerful suggestion: She suggested that I get away from my home, where I am a wife and mother, and from my office, where I am a partner to my clients and customers. She suggested I go away to write.
I took Susan’s advice. When I want to work on my book, I take a ferry to Bainbridge Island, where I stay at the Island Country Inn. With each three-night stay, I finish two more chapters. So far I have visited three times and completed six more chapters. I am ecstatic about my progress. I now know how I will complete the book this year.
Do you have a writing dream? If so, maybe time away from your home and office is the answer to achieving it. Or you might benefit from Susan Daffron‘s counsel. Susan has written and published a wide range of books.
Maybe your dream is to write better in your work, whether you have a job or run your own business. If that is your goal, there are many things you can do:
- Read this blog. You can search for specific topics using the search box on the upper right.
- Read other blogs about business writing. Some of them are listed on the left.
- Read my free monthly e-newsletter, Better Writing at Work.
- Buy resource material to help you reach your goal. The latest issue of Better Writing at Work lists many books that can help you write correctly and well.
- Read Marcia Yudkin’s dozens of free articles. Or buy one of her products or services for help with copywriting and with writing productively and creatively. Note: If you use this link to purchase something from Marcia’s site, I receive a small commission, but I often rave about Marcia without the link. I have benefited from her coaching and publications for years.
- Take a writing class. Better Writing at Work always lists our upcoming public writing classes.
If your goal is worth achieving, it probably won’t be easy or without cost. I spend over $300 each time I go away to write. But I regard that expense as a worthwhile investment in achieving my writing dream.
What have you done to achieve your writing dreams?
Have a happy Make Your Dreams Come True Day! And if your dream involves business writing, I am happy to help you achieve it.