The idea of transferring messages between email accounts is not well understood, although email has been around for decades. Fortunately, it is straightforward. You want to move all the email accounts you have accumulated over the years to one location that is easy to access.
Those who want to forward all messages from one account to another or get rid of old, less professional usernames may try forward emails. Don’t be confused. Here’s how to move your emails between platforms.
Migrating email to and from Gmail
Google Mail is a popular email service, but you’re looking for something different. You can forward your Gmail messages to another account if you want to leave them behind.
- First, you must sign in to your Gmail account on a desktop.
- Click on the gear icon to the top right corner, then Settings.
- Click the POP/IMAP and Forwarding tabs.
- You must enter the email address where the Forwarding should go.
- Follow the onscreen prompts and enter the email address. Click Next, and you’re done.
You will now receive all your Gmail messages at your new email address. Google offers a feature to help you import messages from another account if you use Gmail and are happy with it.
- You have to sign in to your Gmail account on your laptop.
- Now click the gear icon at the top right of the screen, then click Settings.
- Click the Import and Accounts tab.
- Select Import Mail and Contacts from that same section to import mails.
- Choose the email account you’d like to import from and what you’d like to import from the account using the onscreen prompts.
Google notes this feature works with Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail, AOL, and others. While Gmail isn’t listed, you can still migrate your email between Gmail accounts. However, you only need to make a single change to your Gmail account.
- Access Gmail on your computer and sign in to your desired account.
- Now click the gear icon in the upper-right corner, then Settings.
- Select the POP/IMAP tab.
- Turn on POP for all mail.
- You can decide how Gmail should handle original messages.
- Save your changes by clicking Save.
Migrating from Yahoo! to Gmail
Although Yahoo Mail lacks a dedicated import feature like Gmail, you can easily migrate your email from Yahoo to another provider with Forwarding. Follow these steps:
- Navigate to the site Yahoo Mail and sign in to the account you wish to forward from.
- Click on More Settings on the top right of the screen.
- In the left-hand column, click Mailboxes.
- Click on the account you are accessing in your Mailbox List.
- Enter the email address you’d like forwarded under the Forwarding section.
- Click the Verify button.
- Follow the instructions onscreen.
Migrating Outlook email
You may have different options for backing up, importing, and exporting data depending on the version of Outlook. However, the easiest way to move emails from Outlook to another provider is by using Forwarding.
- Sign in to your account on a computer by going to Outlook and signing in.
- Click on the gear icon on the top right of the screen, then choose View all Outlook settings.
- Click Forwarding in the Mail tab.
- Check the Enable Forwarding box.
- If you want your Outlook account to keep copies of forwarded mail, enter the email address to which you want the mail forwarded.
- Then click Save.
You will get all emails to the new account from now on.