In a comment on last week's pronoun tips and test, a reader named Jasmine asked for more examples of whomever. Whoever and whomever can be very tricky because they do not always play the role they seem to be playing in a sentence. Here are more examples of those tricky pronouns, followed by another test.
Reminder: Whoever is a subject pronoun. It serves as a subject of a verb.
Whoever is hungry can have the leftover pizza. (Whoever is the subject of the verb is, like "He is hungry.")
Give the package to whoever comes for it. (Whoever is the subject of the verb comes, like "He comes for it.")
I am happy with whoever wins. (Whoever is the subject of the verb wins, like "He wins.")
Whoever is also correct as a subject complement, with linking verbs such as is, are, and will be.
Whoever it was did not leave her name.
Whoever they are, I like their confidence.
Reminder: Whomever is an object pronoun. It serves as an object of a verb or a preposition.
Please invite whomever you choose. (Whomever is the object of the verb choose, like "You choose him.")
Whomever Kate marries is none of our business. (Whomever is the object of the verb marries, like "Kate marries him.")
I am eager to work with whomever Dale selects as my partner. (Whomever is the object of the verb selects, like "Dales selects her.")
Whomever Human Resources recommends as a consultant, we will still need to interview him or her. (Whomever is the object of the verb recommends, like "Human Resources recommends him.")
I will be glad to meet whomever Jon introduces me to. (Whomever is the object of the preposition to, like "Jon introduces me to him.")
TEST: Choose the correct pronoun in each sentence.
1. Whoever/Whomever you hire, I will respect your decision.
2. Whoever/Whomever volunteers to take minutes also needs to send out the agenda.
3. Whoever/Whomever Thalia used, he is obviously a great landscape designer.
4. Please reply to whoever/whomever Enno included on the To line.
5. These decisions should be left for whoever/whomever takes over Clara's job.
6. Whoever/Whomever survives the primary will face a prominent Democrat.
7. Whoever/Whomever the CEO recommends will undoubtedly be considered for the position.
8. We will interview whoever/whomever meets the criteria.
9. I spoke to whoever/whomever Yvette transferred me to.
10. Whoever/Whomever she is, this artist is fabulous.
Before you compare your answers with mine, check to be sure that half of your answers are whoever and half are whomever.
TEST ANSWER KEY
Whoever you are, I am wondering: Did you do well?