Do you think you know words well? Take this challenge: Pick the correct word or phrase in every sentence below. No peeking at the answer key until you have finished!
1. This site/sight/cite is ideal for our conference.
2. John made less/fewer trips to Chicago than Karl.
3. Give your input to Lucia or I/me/myself.
4. Heavy traffic is the principle/principal reason for the change.
5. This wine compliments/complements the dish perfectly.
6. The amount/number of applicants surprised us.
7. I will flush/flesh out my resume with my nonpaid positions.
8. He pours/pores over your reports looking for good news.
9. Does this withdrawal reoccur/recur each month?
10. Turn your receipts in to/into Accounting for reimbursement.
11. The capitol/capital of Ghana is Accra.
12. We are scheduled to meet some time/sometime next week.
13. Who's/Whose the right person to talk with about parking?
14. Don't worry--your comment did not phase/faze Jeremy.
15. Kendra is discrete/discreet about people's problems.
16. My sister-in-law's sister, i.e./e.g. Julia, lives in Mexico.
17. Is the new CEO likely to affect/effect major changes?
18. Pass around the clipboard before everyone disperses/disburses.
19. Regretfully/Regrettably, we were unaware of the problem.
20. A/An FDA inspector will tour the plant on Thursday.
Are you confident of your choices? Then compare your answers with mine:
10. in to
How did you do? Be sure to check a style guide or dictionary if you doubt the answers above.
Would you like to increase your word skills? Get my booklet (printed or PDF) 60 Quick Word Fixes.